Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Bedtime routines

I'm trying to unlock the secret to getting Ace in bed, on time, in his OWN bed. I have yet to figure it out. Sometimes bribes do the trick but he always wants the most obscure things, it is rare that I stumble on the magic item that will convince him to lay down in his bed. The other day I gave him a new flashlight and he was asleep in seconds. But when I offered him the exact same flashlight the next night, he said that was only for when the exterminator came to the house and he would prefer if I let him take a bag of crescent rolls to bed with him. I considered letting him until he asked to also take an unopened package of hot dogs and I saw how quickly this bargaining could get out of hand. Tonight, he had a busy but not overwhelming day, a visit from Grandma and Grandpa, a yummy dinner and treat, and a peaceful winding down period before bedtime. Still, at 7:15 he refused to go to his bed and is now in my room, doing who knows what. Hold on, I'll check.....

Heavens to Betsy, the boy is asleep! Whoot! I fully expected to find him cross dressing and disassembling my furniture. And it's only 7:54. Uh oh, I can't remember if he has on a pull up. I think I may go scooch him to Andy's side of the bed. Just in case.

Just for the record, Julia now won't let me turn off the light until the following are present and accounted for in her crib: 2 (yes, 2) mini Elmo stuffed toys, one talking Elmo, 2 Elmo books, 1 sippy cup of water, and socks (besides the ones on her feet). I once went to check on her in the middle of the night and found her curled up at the foot of the bed with each Elmo meticulously tucked in under the covers on the pillow. The larger Elmo was wearing socks.

No comments: