Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Morning rush hour

We (meaning, I) overslept this morning so I was running like mad to drop the big kids off . It was a preschool day for Ace so I would have to actually walk into the school rather than just slow down a little in the carpool lane and tell Hayley to tuck and roll as I push her out of the car. I toss on Andy's sweatshirt and a pair of jeans, dress the babies, bundle everyone up and load up the car. Once I had a moment to take a breath I realized something was amiss. Someone smelled really, really bad. I did shower last night so I immediately assumed it was one of the kids. I don't want my kids to be the smelly kids so I stopped the van and went seat to seat, sniffing each of them. Ace and Julia had baths and smelled extra nice. Hayley had spilled syrup on herself and smelled sticky and sweet. Lucy is a baby and even when babies smell bad it is good so it wasn't her. I decided it was just the van, cracked a window and drove on, now 15 minutes late. I think you all know where this is going. If a smell follows you wherever you go, it is likely that smell is you. Sure enough, as I stood by the cubbies chatting with Ace's teacher who I bet always has time to shower in the morning and smells like roses, I realized the sweatshirt I grabbed from the chair was not clean. Not even close. I was the smelly mom. And I was 25 minutes late.
But it is Tuesday and a Lunchbuddy day which means I have an extra hour with just the babies while Ace is at preschool so I will certainly be showered and properly dressed and on time when I go to pick him up. But only if I get of the internet and into the shower before my 15 minute window of opportunity (also called Elmo's World) closes.

No comments: